Delmer "Bing" Byington passed away on April 22, 2009 in Pocatello, Idaho. He was struggling with many complications basically due to Parkinson's Disease.
As far as I can remember, I have the most fondest memories of my grandpa from St. George to Downey, to Pocatello. He and his wife, Georgia Belle, served a mission on St. George Temple grounds and our families would go there every Thanksgiving. Lately, I have been thinking a lot about him and remembering all my great times with him. I can remember him always walking on the Dixie college track in the early mornings and I went with him once. He had the coolest invention or whatever with dispensing peanut M&M's ever since I can remember and he'd always make us get some whenever we'd come visit. I can remember him sitting in the stands at my basketball games. One summer there were too many Jessica's and my coach out of no where said he was going to call me Bing. He knew grandpa somewhat and I decided that was a good nickname for me. My teammates know me by that and I have never forgotten it. I always tried to play my hardest, especially for him when he was there...I wanted to do my nickname justice for him :) Just simple little memories are the best that I have of him and the list would go on forever. I will never forget one time at the home in Downey, for some reason that I don't quite remember, all I remember is that he had a Josh Groban CD and he mentioned this song, "To Where You Are" and said something about it for grandma. Ever since then, I have never forgotten this song and think of grandma and think of grandpa listening to it thinking of his dear sweetheart that he would someday be able to join by her side again. The day has come. I know without a shadow of a doubt that he and grandma are finally together again and are now watching over all of us. This song depicts this perfectly. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxgOcuMVjo
I know that grandma was watching over grandpa and he could feel her presence and knew that she was there by his side helping him get through everything, despite him not wanting to be here much longer and be reunited with her. He did great in his life. I wish I were closer to him than I was, but that's the lesson we seem to learn when it's too late. So, never take for granted the times when you are with your loved ones. Take every advantage of visiting them, don't make up any excuses, especially if you are in the area but "don't have time". I know that grandpa and grandma are now watching over me and I can't wait to see them once again. This gospel of Jesus Christ is perfect! I love the Temple and being able to give the opportunity of those who have already passed on the chance to accept the gospel in the spirit world. I cannot imagine my life without this gospel and the knowledge and testimony that I have. It is my life and I am eternally grateful of being able to be sealed with a wonderful husband who loves the Lord and that we can be together forever. FAMILIES ARE FOREVER!!!
4 years ago


2 comments:
Thanks Jess that was beautiful!! Thank you for your testimony and reminding me how important grandparents really are to us. I can't wait to see you this summer!
Sorry about your grandpa but what a great reminder of cherishing the time we have!!! Thank heavens for the gospel! I hope your praxis went good and I'm not sure what passing score is.
Post a Comment