Monday, May 3, 2010

Trip to Potato State

Alright, so here I am at school...well, actually work, and the students are just fine, working on their photography editing - and I am bored.  I suppose it's days like these that make it awesome to get paid for doing nothing, and being able to stay updated with all my couponing adventures and blog posts :) Anyway, enough of my babbling.  I am back in the real world, back to work.  Our trip to Idaho was excellent and full of surprises!  I definitely was in the car way too much though.  Hopefully I won't go into too much detail, and since I am at work, I don't have any pictures with me, so that will come soon.  
Thursday we drove all day to Rexburg, made a stop in Boise to have lunch with my sis and her family at Five Guys! We stopped in Idaho Falls at the airport to pick up Clay's brother from Vegas while the rest of the fam met up there at the airport too.  SO...Quinn was supposed to be flying in that night also from his mission in England. But I'm sure you all heard about Iceland's volcano, which did affect their flight as all airports were shut down for who knew how long.  Bummer.  Reason: Clay's older brother, Tyler, set their wedding for the weekend because we'd all be home (including Quinn) to attend the wedding, so Quinn missed the wedding.  We drove to Utah the next day, went to dinner with Caeli's family at The Mayan (I don't if any of you out there are sick of that place, but I sure am - you can only enjoy for so long), and checked into the hotel.  
Saturday morning, we all met at the Draper Temple for the wedding! It was an absolute perfect day - which I did indeed get a little sunburned.  Yeah, obviously there's no sun here in Washington to do that to me :)  And can I just say that the houses up there are ginormous mansions?!!! It's ridiculous because I'm sure that they probably don't have half the kids to make up all the bedrooms and need a maid to help clean and yadda yadda yadda.  No wonder why people are in debt!  Had the luncheon afterwards and then the reception early afternoon.  Oh man, did we ever get their car good!  You'll just have to wait to see the pictures :)  Then we headed back to Rexburg that night.  That Sunday was when Quinn was supposed to speak in Sacrament, but obviously it wasn't happening.  Brandon, Barb and Leland had to go back to Vegas that night so sadly, they didn't even get the chance to see Quinn back home.  
The next week went by so fast!  Clay kept himself occupied working in the backyard putting together a fountain and flower beds for his mom.  I was able to meet up with friends of mine that were still living there or going to school! It was so great to see them all again, but it felt weird to be back in Rexburg.  Tuesday, was the funeral of Clay's uncle, his mom's brother.  We found out he passed away the day we drove to Idaho.  He had been battling Parkinson's for the last 30 years.  I had visited him a few times with the family so I somewhat knew him, but it seemed like throughout the funeral, it just reminded me of my grandpa and boy, was I ever a bawl baby.  It was great though being able to celebrate his life and to hear what he was like and get to know him a little more.
Finally, we heard that Quinn had a flight for Wednesday and the skies were starting to clear up of the ashes from the volcano, so we planned to pick him up from Salt Lake that night.  Oh, it was so crazy seeing him walk out of the terminal! I made a sign and had a few balloons - felt like a dork at first because there was only 3 of us picking him up, but there was this other family that went all out with a huge vinyl sign and like 15 balloons! Yes, definitely a missionary homecoming. We stopped for food on the way home and didn't get back into town until 3:00 a.m.  Quinn had already missed 2 days of school, so he had 1 hour of sleep before he woke up, got released and headed off to school! It was great having him back home though! I headed to Burley to meet up with Janelle (and my mom) and have a girls afternoon.  My dad and bro met up with us at Shon Hing's for lunch.  Then Janelle, mom and I went to go have a pedicure and go shopping! It was a fun little afternoon. I got to see my nieces and then headed back to Rexburg.  Saturday was the Rexburg reception, so at least Quinn got to see a "part of the wedding".  So, that about concludes our adventures in Idaho.  It always seems like we never have enough time to do what we want or visit everyone and vacations always end up being non-stop running around!  I'll get the pictures up soon and to those of you I was able to visit, it was so great! And those of you I didn't, next time for sure!

No comments: