I actually accomplished a new year's goal that I made! I wanted to run at least a 5k this year and once I saw that there was going to be one in Nauvoo the weekend we'd be there, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I was so nervous, especially when I got to the starting line. Once the horn sounded, everyone took off running! Not just a jog, but a full out sprint! I had the instant feeling of doom, but I quickly told myself that half of them were going to die out after the first mile and I'd still be keeping my pace and pass them. Well, that didn't end up being completely true, but I did have my eyes set out on certain people that I wanted to pass and that ended up 50/50.
The course took us down Main Street, passing by the old Post Office and a bunch of other stores. I couldn't help but put myself in the pioneers' shoes and relive their lives and realize that I was where they walked. I also jogged past Parley Street, where the Trail of Hope began. Overall, it was an amazing experience just being there. I came up to the 3rd mile marker and sprinted the rest of the way. There was this kid that darted past me and crossed the finish line probably 30 seconds in front of me, and his time was 30:58 so my time was just under 32 minutes and was like 65th out of 170 or something! I wanted to be under 30, but considering this was my first and I had only been training for like a month, I was proud of myself, and to have jogged the whole thing also :) It was a great experience and hopefully I can continue running races now in all the different places we move! ha ha


1 comment:
Come do the Famous Idaho Potato wtih me! When I ran it I was going back and forth between groups of my two kids and in our last dash to the finish my step-son (7) almost beat me!
Post a Comment