Sunday, April 22, 2012

kort's uninvited friend

Last weekend, Kort had a fever of about 102 for a couple of days. We couldn't take him to urgent care, as it was 2 hours away for the closest one that our insurance took. So I tried to schedule an appt. with a Pediatrician this week. Come to find out, the office said since we were new patients, we had to fax over Kort's medical records from Minnesota before we could even get an appointment scheduled. Then, one of the doctors would have to review it beforehand and then they would get back to us to get a time for him to come in. Well, I called MN to have them fax it over, but due to HIPPA stuff, I needed to sign a release form. Ok, I can do that. However, I didn't have ink in the printer so I couldn't print it and then sign it, so I tried getting a hold of Clay to have him use the office fax machine. To make a long story short, I finally got a hold of Clay to get that all worked out, he sent the records to the OK doctor's office. Now about 4 days later, they still haven't gotten back to me. Grr, I was absolutely fed up with them.

In the end, Kort hasn't been to the doctor's office. His fever went away on Monday, but he was still being needy and fussy all day long. Even though he wasn't feeling well, he was still taking 30 minute cat naps. We went for a walk that afternoon to hopefully get him feeling better or happy while being outside. Tuesday, he was feeling the same. I thought he had been teething, hence the fever. He would crawl up on my lap and fall asleep for an hour or so. The last time that happened was when he ended up with a double ear infection. That's why I was wanting to get him in to the doctor. That morning, while he was falling asleep on me, I noticed a brown speck on the back of his neck. I thought it was some dirt or piece of food or whatever and brushed it off.  Later that afternoon, I saw it again. Maybe I didn't get it off or it was a new mole I hadn't seen. Tried getting it off, but no such luck. I looked closer at it and it had LEGS! I was completely freaking out! I studied it for a minute and rushed to the bathroom to get the tweezers. Oh.my.gosh! It was a tick. I quickly pricked it out, making sure I got it all out. I put it in a place where Kort wouldn't get to it. I wanted to hurry and look online to make sure that's what it was. Oh my heck, our network was down. Annoying! After putting Kort to sleep for the night, Clay got home and we fixed the internet and I looked up to find out it was most likely a tick, just like I thought. We took Kort out of his bed and hurried and changed his sheets and put him back to bed. I didn't find anymore on him or on me. The only place I can think he got it was behind our complex when we walked through the brush/weeds/grass to get to the golf cart path. We had actually done that the day before. We hadn't been outside Tuesday. So that means that he probably had that thing on him for a whole day. Talk about scaring a mom out! That was another reason why I wanted to get him into the doctor. CDC says that a fever could show up a couple weeks after having a tick, so I'll have to keep a close eye on him.

About the middle of the week Kort had gone back to himself. Friday and Saturday he went back to taking his hour and a half naps!!! I don't know if it's because he was getting sick before so he went to his 30 minute, but whatever, I'm just happy for each long nap. Has anyone else had a freak out like this with their kid? Finding a tick or something like that on their child?!!? Absolutely disgusting. It just gives me the heebie jeebies. This is what Kort was like for most of the time he was down with the fever.
He ended up falling asleep like this a few minutes later. So unlike him. I loved his snuggles,
but I'm glad he's back to his wild self :)

3 comments:

Jenna said...

That sounds like a scary ordeal! I had a tick once and was FREAKING out. I just imagined it crawling around in my sheets for days.

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh! A TICK?! Oh sick. Poor guy! Glad he's better. Love that picture of him... little cutie.

Kabe 'n Dave said...

Oh my word, I'm with you, I'd totally be freaked out. Glad you found it and got it off! Glad he's better (even though sickie snuggles are the best!) and back to his longer naps...aren't those the BEST?!