Friday, June 1, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

I could not wait for Memorial weekend to get here! With Clay's job, he usually works 6 days a week and 14-16 hour days, meaning he leaves before 6 and gets home around 8, if I'm lucky. So this creates lonnnng weeks. They have a weekend (Friday thru Monday) off every 3 weeks. Well, it was his weekend the weekend before memorial weekend. But he got gipped and had to move it to memorial weekend. Lame. Oh well, we lived.

He got off Thursday and noon and took our car in to get serviced. I had Visiting Teachers come over for the first time in literally years. It felt so good and I felt loved. Friday morning, we left bright and early for the OKC Temple. We were actually able to do an Endowment session together! The Relief Society had someone there to help babysit and so they watched Kort. It was so nice to be able to be in the same room with Clay, and be the witness couple. I hadn't done a session since before Kort was born and when my brother was about to go on his mission. It had been long before that that Clay and I went together as well. Guess that's what kids do to you, and when you move around so much that you don't really get to know anyone enough to trust to watch your kid (or I was too much of an emotional wreck and with the baby blues that I couldn't leave Kort :).

We were going to meet up with some neighbor friends and stay at a hotel together and go to either Frontier City or White Water Bay (amusement and water park), but that fell through so we just booked a hotel for the WWB package and went swimsuit shopping. We were in absolutely no rush. It was so nice. It did take Kort 2 hours to fall asleep that night because the front desk never brought us a crib like they said they would.


It was a pretty nice Saturday, cloudy, but hot. The water park was huge, probably as big as Lagoon-a-Beach (you Idahoans and Utards Utahans know what I'm talking about). To make a story short, it was breezy so Kort was cold most of the time. I guess he doesn't like a lot of water, other than his baths. They had a bunch of fountains that we tried to get him into, but he'd just scream when he got wet. So we ended up in the lazy river most of the time, which was fine by all of us. We both got sunburned, me on my back where Clay supposedly applied sunscreen, thighs that never see light, and that stupid hair part that I always forget about and then end up peeling and it looks like dandruff. I guess I did bad on putting sunscreen on Clay's back as well and he had a strip on the bottom. He forgot the top of one foot which burned really bad. You live, you learn. 



Obviously I'm not going to show you my swimsuit body :S ha ha However, a big step for me was that I didn't wear swim shorts, but rather the boy cut swim bottoms. I'm conscious of my legs, ok, upper thighs, and I have been trying to get back into shape for when we go to California this summer. I'll admit, I'm jealous of those moms who lucked out and didn't get any stretch marks during pregnancy and can go back to lookin' hot in a bathing suit post baby. I'm not one of them. You probably didn't need to know any of this though. Just for my own journaling.

Oh, did I mention that Friday night we found a TEXAS ROADHOUSE to go eat at?!!! Oh, I was absolutely ecstatic! We didn't have any around us in Minnesota or Washington and we only got to eat at one once in Boise when we visited family, so I was dying to eat some rolls! It was heaven!

On our way back to Enid, we stopped at Home Depot and bought a grill. Clay couldn't go throughout the summer without one since ours is in storage, in Minnesota. I even used it for the first time last night grilling chicken! Go me!

Monday was a chillax day and we grilled steaks and went swimming in our pool. A little bit more success with Kort in the water. We'll get there. We've got some splash pads in town that I'm hoping to take him to and get him used to getting wet. It was such a great weekend to be able to see Clay for more than 2 hours every night :)

But once again, I need to take the time to ponder on the importance of Memorial Day. I've had many family members fight for our freedom. My grandpa was a medic in one of the world wars. He had so many bad dreams that I remember him saying was the reason why he and my grandma couldn't sleep in the same bed. I miss them. My mom and dad both served in the military. My older brothers grew up in foreign lands because of that. My two brothers, Jeremy and Jordan, served in the military and were in Afghanistan and cities in that country to serve our country. Clay's brother, Justin, is fighting overseas as we speak. He's been in Afghanistan and is stationed in Germany right now. That's just my immediate family. I'm so grateful for their service. We are able to live in the land of the free because of them. THANK YOU!


2 comments:

paige said...

That sounds like a great weekend! And pretty much the ladies that survive pregnancy without stretch marks don't exist in my mind. At least I keep telling myself that. Just one of the charms of having kids. :)

Kabe 'n Dave said...

Oh Jess, you crack me up girly! :) I'm glad you had a good weekend. Even if all I can't see all of you, what I can see of you is SMOKIN' HOT in your swimsuit! And I laughed so hard about your Utard cross out! Love it! ;)