This was before it really starting "snowing". Maybe two inches is an overstatement.
Now, this last weekend, they were expecting a HUGE storm coming from the west, which hit Rexburg and got a ton of snow. Enid was in the section of expecting 12-18 inches. It was supposed to be a blizzard, too, with winds up to 35+ mph. Monday was the big day. They had already canceled all the schools the night before. Well, up until maybe noon it was just raining, a lot. Thought it was funny that everyone was freaking out and it was only rain. Ok, so the snow started coming down in the afternoon and then the winds. Our power went out around 10:30 pm, but luckily we were prepared and had the generator set up if we needed it, but also that our fireplace is a gas burner/wood burning one. So we turned that on to give us some heat. Also, we still had running water and our water heater went off natural gas so we were able to take hot showers in the morning :) Clay didn't have to work Monday so he helped get all this ready. Tuesday morning the snow had stopped and the sun was out shining bright. He turned the generator on for a couple hours to chill the fridge back up and give us some heat in the house. He had to go out to work late that morning, but Kort and I did just fine throughout the day. They got the power back on that evening!
The roads did get pretty bad, but that's pretty much because they only have a few snow plows here.
Ok, I believe these last two pictures are still from the first storm. I failed at making a snowman with Kort, so I tried doing an igloo. Failed at that attempt as well. Then out of nowhere, Clay surprises us coming home early and plays with Kort in the snow, dragging him on the snow shovel :) It was a fun afternoon!
After all of this, I'm so glad Clay talked me into buying a generator. It helps me realize what things I want in a house when we buy one soon. I was so grateful for running water, though, because we could flush the toilet, wash our hands, have oatmeal :), and not have to go to the bathroom outside in the storm! I'm feeling a tad better knowing we're a little bit more prepared for emergencies, but I know we still have a long ways to go, especially now that tornado season is coming up :/





No comments:
Post a Comment